CONGRATULATIONS MARCH 2021 NONPROFIT
GRANT RECIPIENT, DARKNESS RISING PROJECT NONPROFIT!
Click here to learn about our March artist grant winner,
Octavio Daniel Rodriguez Juarez.
The following are excerpts from their proposal:
Darkness RISING Project Nonprofit was created to help those in the Black community begin conversations with their family, coworkers, and friends about their mental health and emotional well-being. We accomplish this by partnering with mental health providers and/or mental health educators to create events, seminars, and sessions where the intersection between mental health education and the arts collide.
Darkness RISING offers free community wellness workshops geared toward people of color, inspirational cover songs, visual albums, and live concerts created by Black Broadway and theatre professionals, many who have experienced a mental health condition. Our goal is to inspire conversations about mental health, address issues which directly affect the Black community, connect attendees to resources, and erase the stigma.
Darkness RISING Project Nonprofit aims to:
-Improve the health and wellness of the Black community
-Raise awareness about mental health in our community
-Empower and engage our community via resources, events and services
-Erase the negative stigma of mental health issues
Main Programs / Services:
- Black Mental Health Provider Database: A free database of Black mental health providers, free for providers and users
- Black Mental Health Resource Packet: A free digital resource packet with culturally competent mental health directories, apps, podcast, organizations, advocates and more
- Darkness RISING: Live - Annual inspiration Black mental health concert featuring Broadway performers.
- Help Me Find a Therapist Program: A free program in partnership with mental health nonprofits Depressed While Black and Darkness Rising that directly assists community members in the search for Black therapists. Users fill out a digital form to make customized requests for culturally competent therapy, tips for their first therapy consultation, and more.
- Music and Mental Health Video Series: Music videos featuring music and choreography from our inspirational cover album, performed by Broadway & NYC performers. Each video includes a Q&A with an artist about mental health in our community.
- Virtual Show: A virtual performance by our Broadway singers, with or without a mental health discussion with licensed mental health providers (based on your needs).
We hope to use funding towards Darkness RISING: Live - Our annual inspiration Black mental health concert featuring Broadway performers.
We plan to pay for:
- Artist payments (performers)
- Mental Health Providers (speakers)
- Project documentation (video + photography)
- Venue rental
- Covid safety measures
Our community needs support. As the Black community grapples with the ongoing pain of racism, the disproportionate impacts of COVID-19, and health disparities, culturally competent mental health support becomes imperative. Darkness RISING: Live 4 is especially for our neighbors to experience Broadway artists right in their backyard and receive important resources. We use art to share resources and provide the tools we need to cope.
Integrity: Arts & Culture Association is honored to approve
Darkness RISING Project Nonprofit's Funding request and we wish
them continued success in their highly purposeful mission.